Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Nicest Thing

Twenty days later, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannd she's back!

Remember Bria's post about the old man who held the door for her? Well I was thinking of it the other evening after someone held the door for me. I was leaving Blockbuster, and I had just grabbed my movie when two "modern day greasers" entered the building, filling Blockbuster with their aura of suave cockiness. One of them held the door for me as I was leaving.

ME: Thank you.
MR. GREASER DUDE: (in a butter smooth, cool as anything voice.) Always.
ME: (Smiling and laughing in the car all the way home.)

Ask me sometime and I'll tell you just how he said it.

I was grateful for his holding the door for me, and as I drove home thought how it's such a gentlemanly gesture to do so. When I was telling someone about the "always" guy, she thought he sounded really creepy. But he wasn't.

And here's one other thing. I remember DJ saying something about how although people let others hold the door for them, they almost always put their hand out to hold the door in case the person lets go. I don't like to do that. I feel that if the person is going the extra effort to hold the door for me, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not going to let the door smash in my face. I'll let them do their job thoroughly. :)

I'm still trying to decide if this story is a you-had-to-be-there story. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're truly a lady, the men will be men.

KJ said...

Cara! I thought about calling you the other night because I watched Sahara with Lisa and I laughed and laughed as usual, and I don't think she ever laughed out loud, and afterwards she said she slept through part of it! (and she hadn't seen it before) So of course, I thought of you! :)
And I also watched the last part of I, Robot on TV the other night and thought of you too as I laughed again.
And now about your post.... was the girl who thought they guy was creepy, a certain girl who happens to live with you? :) And I want to hear you say "always" for me sometime.... good tale. I love random interactions with strangers like that.
Okay.... loooooong comment

Cara said...

KJ! If you feel like laughing some time, I'll watch EITHER of those movies with you again! Sahara is the best. I just don't understand why some people don't get it. :D It's so misunderstood. Haha.

You guessed correctly.

Unknown said...

It does sound kind of creepy, but not that creepy. It makes me feel good to know that some young men are chivalrous still. :)

lis said...

Nope, didn't have to be there!

:O)

Though I'd like to hear you say "Always," too!