Monday, October 23, 2006

ROADKILL!!

Last night I ran over three baby raccoons. I am in denial and don't want to talk about it. Here's what happened: I was driving back from town with my mom. It was late, and I was tired. I was within a couple miles of my house, heading up a hill, my highbeams were on, when I saw a car approaching. I flicked my high beams off and there DIRECTLY in front of me was a family of raccoons waddling across the road. We just went over roadkill in Drivers Ed., so I checked my rearview mirror, prepared to step on the brake. There was no one behind me. I was going to brake, but then I saw that there was just no chance of not hitting them, so I didn't bother braking too much. There was no way I was going to swerve to avoid the critters. There was dirt to my right and oncoming cars to my left. Sigh. Then I hit them. THUNK. I didn't run over any with the wheels, but I believe I hit the back of one with my undercarriage, and possibly got two of the other five or so raccoon kittens, cubs, or whatever you call them. I just started wailing, not crying but wailing, and it was all horrible horrible horrible!!! I drove by the place this morning, and didn't see any dead animals nearby, so I'm hoping all I did was stun the raccoon. Aaron said that we should go and get it for dinner. Daddy said, well, I'm not going to say what he said. It was sad and cruel, not to be repeated.

That is my terrible story. I can't believe I've already contributed roadkill to the already "roadkilled-out" country, before I've even gotten my license.

10 comments:

KJ said...

Hehehe! This brings to mind a certain trip from your house to my house when Bria was driving... although this may be worse! :)

I loved how you said you didn't want to talk about and then, of course, went on to tell us all about it... what else are blogs good for?

I'm glad you didn't see anything left today though. :)

Aaron said...

I didn't say anything about dinner: it was Bria! Last night when I drove by the place just a few hours after the incident, there was no sign of life (or death), so you and the coons may just have had a good bit of luck all round.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, that feeling must have been AWFUL! I'm glad there were no 'remains', though; maybe they did make it off the road alive.

Jill said...

You poor thing. The first time I ran over a squirrel I cried and felt horrible for the rest of the day. Now I'm a hardened criminal and only cringe and say "sorry!" anytime I hit an animal--which, thankfully, hasn't been too many times, though two deer came awfully close to being roadkill this afternoon just a mile from home!

Susan Elizabeth said...

What can I add to this? Such is life (or death) in the 21st century. So sorry that you had to experience it so early in your driving career. Just be thankful it wasn't a moose..which probably would have ended up on the windshield! (or on yours' and your moms' laps!)

Anonymous said...

H
A
P
P
Y

B
I
R
T
H
D
A
Y
!
!
!

drewey fern said...

Happy Birthday, Cara dear! Sorry I can't put my birthday greetings on a cheerier post, but such is life:) Anyway, I trust for a good God-blessed year ahead! Love you!

Kayla said...

At least you didn't STEP on them! (ugh!)

My sympathies however.

Kayla said...

At least you didn't STEP on them! (ugh!)

My sympathies however.

Kayla said...

aargh! It's funny how just a few minutes ago I saw someone accidentally comment the same thing twice and I thought, "how silly I'm sure I would never do that!"

Knock on wood.